Going after the job of your dreams might seem like a tall task, and the truth is that for most people it is. The reason why most people feel that this is such a tall task for them is because they don’t understand the proper way to get their dream job. What you need to understand is that it all boils down to their resume. If the interviewing committee doesn’t like the way your resume looks and what is on it, then the chances of them calling you in for an actual interview is not good.
Most people struggle to create a compelling and promising resume and that is what I am going to walk you thru today. The trick to every resume is to get it to stand out from the rest. This is where 80% of job seekers fail, but I assure you that with the tips below you should have no problem standing out from the crowd.
Tips To Creating An Impeccable Resume
- Grabs Attention Quickly – The best resumes out there will grab your attention right from the beginning. The people who read a resume will not spend hours reading every resume, they will skim thru them until they see something that stands out to them. This is why having a resume that grabs the reader’s attention right off the bat is the only way to get noticed. Something that you probably know already is that your jobs skills, education, and past job history is important, but if the person reading your resume is so bored that they never get to those aspects of the resume then there is no chance they are going to hire you. Think about it.
- Avoid Using Old Material – When was your very first job? Did you babysit while you were in middle school? Did you know how to program computers, but forgot how after years of inactivity? These are all things that should be left off a resume. Nobody wants to know what you used to know how to do, they only care about what you bring to the table now. It is because of this that you need to avoid using old material on your resume. Do yourself a favor and only stick to the information that will help you land the job.
- Most Important Traits First – When creating an impeccable resume you must put all the most important traits first. The reason for doing this is so that the reader see’s why you are the ideal candidate for the job and doesn’t throw your resume in the trash. What most people make the mistake of doing is they put their most important traits in the middle to end of the resume. All this is going to do is make it easier for the reader to disregard your resume. Don’t do this, put the most important traits and skills first and also make them stand out.
- Letter Or Recommendations Matter – Do you have any letter of recommendations? If you do then include them in the front of the resume. The benefit of having these letter of recommendations is that the person reading the resume will see that others vouch for you. Now, the reason you put these in the front of the resume is because letters from important community members are sometimes enough to give a resume priority viewing over the rest.
- Edit Your Resume – Editing your resume is not that difficult, but it does take time. Make sure your resume doesn’t have spelling errors, everything is written in order, and most importantly, you didn’t forget to include certain qualities about you. Take the 30 minutes and read your resume a few times until it sounds perfect.
- Keep It Short – Did you know that the shorter a resume is, the better response you will get from it? Most people don’t know that and because of it they create pages and pages of useless content. Do yourself a favor and keep the resume rather short and only include pertinent information. Where you will see a huge difference is in your past employment history and job skills. One piece of advice that I have for you when it comes to making a resume shorter is to ask friends and family to help you condense a lot of the information into smaller sections.
- Neatness Counts – Do you remember when you were in school and your teachers would tell you that neatness counts? Well, this is where it really counts. Interviewers understand that if you are messy on a resume then you will be messy in real life. Think about it, doesn’t that make sense to you? It would be the same if somebody saw the inside of your house, if it is a mess then the odds of you being an all-around messy person is much more likely.
Now that you know what it takes to create an impeccable resume, you need to have a good idea about what employers are looking for. This is where many people make a huge mistake. If you don’t know what all employers are looking for then you are going to have a very difficult time finding a career, or job for that matter.
The very first thing people look for when it comes to growing their company is somebody that can learn and evolve inside the company. The best part about this is that there is no education or training that comes along with your evolution through a company, it is all about will and the determination to do better. So, with that said you need to take the necessary steps to show employers that you are ready to make their company better than it already is.
One other thing that employers are looking for is the foundation that they know they can work with. The best foundation that you can have is one that can be built on. Most people have a decent foundation, but if you don’t have the right basic skills and dedication to them then your chances of growing are much smaller. Think about this because your foundation is the only way you will ever succeed in life.
As you can see, it doesn’t take much to create an impeccable resume, but you need to start now. Don’t let your competitors get ahead of you by creating a resume that employers are actually excited to read, beat them to it.